Monday, May 27, 2013

The Pregnancy + A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Well look at that, I'm posting again! To be honest, I'm pretty proud that I've followed through on posting again so quickly, since I'm in a (barely) functional state of sleep deprivation. Just keeping it real. 

Before I start into my storytelling, can I just share a few pictures of my little Owen? He's so cute, I can barely handle it. 
{2.5 weeks old}

He has a major dimple on his right cheek and a little one on his left cheek. This is the only picture I have of his cute right dimple. 

Anyway, I wanted to let you know how things went for me with pregnancy, as well as the ridiculous series of unfortunate events in the days prior to Owen's birth. You know me, ridiculous things just seem to happen at awful times. Lest we forget, the time I ruined Ben's birthday surprise. 

Overall, pregnancy #2 was very good to me. It was so much better being pregnant throughout the winter and spring, rather than all through the summer like I was with Dylan. There wasn't nearly as much discomfort or bloating this time around. My least pleasant pregnancy symptoms only lasted through weeks 6-12, and I felt pretty great otherwise. The only real blips on the radar were my random 24 hour bugs on Christmas and Valentine's Day. Apparently the flu only likes me on holidays.

This pregnancy I was a big-time slacker on taking photos of myself. Here are my three pregnancy pictures:

{28 weeks}

{38 weeks}

{39.5 weeks- delivery day!}

Good gosh, just looking at my pregnancy pictures makes me feel sorry for myself. Like I said, overall I had a great pregnancy, but ask anyone how they feel from weeks 38 until delivery and you'll probably get complaints out the wahzoo. I liked to compare myself to a hippo, manatee, etc. when asked how I felt at the end. 

And onto the unfortunate events...

On May 5 (2 days before baby), I was getting ready for church. I was going downstairs to the laundry room to iron my clothes. As I was walking downstairs, I smelled something disgusting. Imagine my surprise when I got to the laundry room and saw that there was a giant puddle of poo-water seeping up from the drain in the floor. No joke. As a result, church was not attended that day, as we stuck around the house for the plumber to fix the nasty sewer problem. $300 later, the poo-water was gone. The cause? Things that we couldn't have controlled, such as the roots from the tree in the front yard causing sewer drama. 

On May 6 (1 day before baby), Dylan woke up at a freakishly early hour (about 6 am... he usually gets up around 8) and crawled into bed with us. He was being very quiet and had a funny look on his face. After laying with us for a minute he turned to Ben and puked all over him. It was about 90% disgusting and 10% hilarious. We cleaned things up, gave Dylan a puke bowl, and laid down some towels. Over the next 3 hours Dylan managed to throw up in pretty much every room of the house. Just what I wanted to do the day before we had a baby- clean up vomit everywhere I turned.  I was terrified that Dylan had the flu and we were going to have to deal with keeping Dylan quarantined from the baby if he was still sick when we brought him home. Luckily, it seemed like Dylan only had a 3 hour bug, since he was good as new after 9 am that day. 

After the two days of drama, I was a little concerned that there was going to be a disaster of some sort on baby day, as bad things seem to happen in threes. Luckily that was not the case for us. 

Next up...
-The nursery
-Owen's birth story


Sarah said...

3 hour bug...lucky!! can't believe those 2 things happened right before baby arrival. I guess it kept you on your toes! Owen is VERY adorable.

Lindsay Marie said...

So so so cute! Keep the posts coming (unless you have a chance to sleep... Then take it!)

Love you!!

Taylor Kowallis said...

Ohgoodness, I so wish we lived closer! 1) So I could have helped you out with those debacles! and 2) so I could hold and squeeze Owen!! He is such a handsome dude!!! Im so so glad delivery went well! Such a blessing, and that hes such a great baby! Go Owen!!

Catherine said...

Aww I'm so glad you're back to blogging! Owen is a doll. Seriously. Massive baby fever right now. I can't wait to hear about the delivery and see the nursery!