Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Owen at One Month.


Oh my goodness, I can't believe that Owen is already a month old. The time has flown by so quickly, and it's been such a great month. Before Owen was born I had the fear that he wouldn't immediately fit in to our family and it would take awhile before things felt normal. I am amazed that he just fits right in and it seems like he's always been with us, if that makes sense. 

Owen has been such a pleasant, mellow baby from day one. In fact, during our first night in the hospital I was really concerned when I woke up at 2 am and was wondering why the Owen hadn't been brought back to me for a feeding. It has almost been 4 hours since he last ate. I called the nurse's station and they said that he was fast asleep and would bring him to me as soon as he woke up.... which they did, 2 hours later. Even then, he wasn't screaming his head off when he was delivered to me, just whimpering a bit. 

Owen has been a champion eater and sleeper- he took to nursing right away and seemed to know that nighttime was for sleeping from the beginning. I keep comparing my newborn experience with Owen to my experience with Dylan, and it seems like all the hard things I had with Dylan are non-existent with Owen. 

I really feel like Ben and I are just able to relax and enjoy Owen, rather than being anxious and paranoid over every little thing. Seriously, I remember calling my mom at 2 am one morning when Dylan was about 3 weeks old concerned that I had already scarred him emotionally by letting him cry for a few minutes. Oh, first time parenthood. None of that with Owen- it's been smooth sailing so far, knock on wood. 

Not to make it seem like everything is absolutely perfect- poor boy sometimes has a fussy tummy and has a hard time with #2, but I feel like I can recognize the issues much better, rather than just wondering why the heck my baby is crying. 

Owen has been on a pretty predictable schedule- eating every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. He stays awake for around an hour before needing another nap. He enjoys being swaddled and loves nothing more than snuggling up against my chest for some skin to skin cuddle time. 

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the past month:







No comments: