Monday, December 29, 2008

Adolescent flashback.

The time when someone tried to sell me drugs.

I was 16 years old living in Indiana and was at Fair Oaks Mall to do some shopping (read: browse American Eage and Bath and Body, as those were the only half decent stores in the mall). I had just received my license a few months before, and was feeling so proud and independent that I could drive myself to and from the mall with no adult assistance.

Anyway, when I had stopped in the middle of the mall, a random teenage guy approached me. I was hoping that he wasn't coming over with some lame attempt at flirting, because I'm fickle like that. Don't flirt with me if I don't want you to. I didn't give myself the nickname of "frigid witch" in college (pre-Ben), it was earned.

Rather than the interaction I was expecting, the guy began a conversation that I didn't really understand.
"Hey, do you want some shrubbery?" he asked.
"Huh?" was my intelligent answer.
"Do you want to buy some grass?" he asked, looking a little irritated.
He really had me lost. Why would he want to sell me grass and shubbery? That's stuff my dad would buy at Lowes or something. My reply was,"What are you talking about?"
I could tell that he was getting confused with my confusion. He leaned a little closer to me and asked, "Do you want to buy some weed?"

HANG ON. Did he seriously think that I was going to buy drugs from him? Did I look like such a pothead that he felt that he needed to ask me, a perfect stranger, to buy from him? That's a negative.

I guess my answer of "Ewww, no" was good enough for him, because he left me alone after that.

4 comments:

Lindsay Marie said...

hahaha, I miss the chrissi who hated boys. but i'm glad that you found ben... happy belated anniversary. I am SOOOOOO excited to see you in a few days.

xoxo

The Clems said...

shrubbery! that is classic.

Unknown said...

Haha, this is hilarious Chrissy..my favorite is "Eww, no!"

sarahbclark! said...

i think i was there! his name was denny tedder and i remember being there. he wasn't talking to me, just you, and he had come up to you and said you looked familiar, like maybe you went to school together. and i recognized him because he was a couple years younger than me and had always gotten into trouble at school.
frigid witch. nice.