2. Gap was having an in-store 40% off sale today. That's right- 40% off everything (except denim I think). It was a lovely day, indeed. I may have gone a little overboard shopping for D, but he's a growing kid and I'm trying to get a jump start on all the 18-24 month things. Adorable stuff, right?
3. I bought a new candle the other day and the scent is Raspberry Lime, but I swear that when the candle burns it smells just like these things:
Not saying that it's a bad thing, but it's just a random thing.
4. Dylan has decided that he loves to wear hats and has just mastered putting them on himself. How cute is this boy?
5. My current read is The Hangman's Daughter. It's set in 17th century Bavaria and centers around the town's executioner Jakob and some mysterious killings that take place in his small town. I'm only about halfway though the book, but so far it's great, although stressful and frustrating at the same time.
6. Last night I made the amazing, fabulous Mean Green Tortilla Soup (Rachael Ray). This is Ben's favorite dinner ever and he loves it when I make this soup. It's a little labor intensive, but the results are fabulous. Here's the recipe:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 ears of corn, kernels removed (reserve shaved corn cobs)
- 1 package corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 package (3 pieces) chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 10 to 12 tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups jack cheese, shredded
- 3 avocados, chopped (optional)
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Preheat oven 400°F.
In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and water to a bubble with the reserved corn cobs and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Place the corn tortilla strips onto a baking sheet and spray them with some cooking spray. Transfer to the oven and bake until crispy, 10 minutes.
Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat with some EVOO about 2 turns around the pan. Add the chicken, browning on all sides, then place into the oven for about 7-8 minutes, until juices run clear and no pink remains in the center. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from oven and let rest before cutting into strips.
Preheat a heavy-bottomed pot with remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the onion, garlic and cumin, and cook till soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the corn kernels along with the jalapeño.
While the veggies are cooking, puree the tomatillos in a food processor until somewhat smooth. Add the purée, stock and chicken to the pot along with the veggies.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and add in the cilantro, lime zest and juice, and serve it up garnished with a big handful of jack cheese, tortilla and avocado.