Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Soapbox alert.

There aren't a lot of things that really get under my skin, but this banner is so frusturating to me!

As most of you know, part of my job is working with foster parents. Some foster parents are really great and come into the foster care program with the best intentions, but there are some that just aren't the best. 

Every pair of foster parents have different motivations for getting into the foster care program, but I really feel that the message of "subsidize your income" is the wrong reason to get started in foster care. Yes, foster parents are given a monthly foster car payment, but that money should not be the reason that you begin fostering children! Fostering children should be about wanting to help children that are in need and wanting to give them a loving home, however temporary it may be!

The type of people that are drawn to foster care for the extra income really should not be foster parents. I think that this banner is sending the wrong message about the reasons that families should foster children. It's about love, not money.

Stepping off my soapbox.

7 comments:

Nici said...

I AGREE 100%!!! Is there room on your soapbox for me?

Unknown said...

amen sister! Is that sign on lehi main street?! I jump on the soap box every time I drive past it!!!!!!!!

Morgan said...

That really is awful! This soapbox is most deserving of your standing!

Lissagerl said...

Amen!! I did strictly foster care for 2 years and luckily didn't have many of these. But I did have one that really bothered me. They wouldn't adopt a sibling group that they had in their home for over a year because they couldn't afford it without that money. Ultimately I took them out and found them a new home. It was so sad for those boys. Money was more important than them. But I know I found them the right home, so it all worked out in the end.

Anonymous said...

um. crossroads youth? hmm. perhaps we should take them off our roster as potential placements...i almost feel like emailing them. i wish you could see the face i am making right now. thanks for ruining my night. loves.

Sarah said...

hmmmmm. that's an odd way to promote foster care. it's a sad, sad time!

Taylor Kowallis said...

so so so sad!! What is the world coming to?