Tuesday, December 21, 2010

All I need to know about life I learned from tv.

Ok, so the post title may be a little off the mark, but today I think that my copious amounts of tv viewing played to my advantage.

Today I had to spend the whole day in the courtroom for a trial. Big time booo. Anyway, my attorney (sounds fancy, right? My attorney? Actually, she is the State's attorney, and since I represent the State, she represents me in State matters.) and I were listening to a client testify regarding some things that had been going on. He was saying all of these things like, "I know that I can do better, I really think that I am finished with (insert various illegal activity here)" all while shaking his head "no."

Now, I'm not sure if everyone is addicted to the tv show Lie To Me, but let me tell you what I learned from the show:

If someone is saying something and shaking their head no at the same time, they do not believe what they are saying (as per Dr. Cal Lightman, lead character in the show. He's a behaviorist who studies people's facial expressions and gestures to see if they're telling the truth or not.)

I leaned over and said to my attorney, "Do you see how he's shaking his head no while saying all this? I don't think that he's telling the truth." She totally agreed and said that he was full of you-know-what.

I neglected to tell her where I had gained my knowledge... something tells me that a fictional behaviorist on tv would not be seen as a credible source in the court.

2 comments:

stacey said...

That is one of our favorite shows too! I love Cal. And Jillian has the most amazing wardrobe. I covet it every episode. Such a fascinating show.

Unknown said...

Go Lightman Group!
I learn stuff from House all the time!